10.03.2008

A Lot of Children

I've been watching a number of television shows recently that have to do with families that have lots of children (creative title for my post, I know).

There are the Goslins (of Jon & Kate Plus 8) who had twins, wanted one more, and ended up with six. Not only do they have eight children, but six of them are the same age.

On Extreme Makeover: Home Edition last week, a woman adopted her sister's ten children when the sister died. In addition to her four kids, that made for a total of fourteen between the ages of 4 and 17. Crazy.

The was another show on TLC, Kids by the Dozen, that follows a few different families that have 12 or more children (as if you could figure that out from the title). One family had 17 and one was on the way. By the end of this year, they will have 18 children. Another family had 13 kids and the dad already seemed excited about the possibility of more. And all of their children had names that started with the letter 'J'.

Wow. Astounding.

Just the numbers alone associated with this many children is ridiculous. The family with 17 children has to pack almost 40 pairs of shoes on trips and over 100 shirts. For three days.

And the grocery bills. I can't even imagine.

I've also realized that I have no interest in having an enormous family. For multiple reasons. You'd be changing diapers forever. It'd be hard to anything spur of the moment - just think about it. And that idea of having to birth that many children. I don't even want to think about it. The cost of weddings for all those daughters. Having enough space for everyone and everything. It exhausts me just to think about it.

However, if my sister somehow ends up with ten children, and writes me a letter asking me to adopt them when she dies, I would make the sacrifice.

But I'm not gonna lie, the idea sends shivers up my spine.

I'm going to think about puppies or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment