8.20.2008

Olympians

Working at the organization of people in spandex (OOPIS) has gotten me more excited about the sport of wrestling than I ever thought possible.

I basically come from a family deeply connected to a sport that could be considered the archenemy of wrestling - hoops.

But here's the thing. It's basically a biological attachment to basketball.

See...my dad comes from a family of giants - literally. At 6'7", he is the shortest of his brothers and also shorter than his father. This is not a joke. All of them played basketball in college.

If I've learned anything in my time here with the OOPIS, it's that wrestlers are not generally very big people. In fact, for the first time in my life I feel a little bit tall. But I digress.

Working here for the past eight months has given me the chance to get to know some amazing athletes, and now that they are competing at the Olympics I can't help but get a little fixated.

I've stayed up late, woken up early, and sat at a computer hitting refresh because the video feed didn't work on my old Mac. To think that eight months ago I couldn't have spoken intelligently on the sport of wrestling. Thank you OOPIS.

I just want to say congrats to our medalists: Adam Wheeler, Randi Miller, and Henry Cejudo. You might not have heard about them because isn't exactly a mainstream sport, but they kicked some butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment