8.15.2008

My last nerve.

I'm a competitive person. It's something I've talked about more than once in the past.

But at the same time I have some unspoken, unwritten rules. Ones that I keep in my head but feel everyone should follow.

Recently I saw an individual that unquestionable broke this rule. And it drove me nuts.

Let me explain.

I was at a park playing speed volleyball with quite a bunch of people I didn't know. It was quite a mixture of skill levels, from the athletic to the talented to the I-don't-know-what-I'm-doing to the I'm-just-here-for-fun.

On one team was a guy who obviously knew what he was doing, and took over his team because they were struggling. He would step in front of people to take a shot and could barely hide his disgust when his teammates messed up.

Now I want to win as much as the next person. But I also feel in certain situations - such as a pick-up, for-fun volleyball game - it is more important that everyone is involved and having a good time. Especially when you join knowing not everyone is as skilled as you.

This is not to say I've never taken over, even for a moment, but there's something to be said for displaying a little sportsmanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment