12.29.2008

Nevermind, for now

I know I said I was going to share a few posts from others that really struck me, or however I phrased it.

And I still sort of am. But not what I originally intended.

Not making sense?

Good. Then my plan is working to perfection. Just kidding. Mostly.

I read this article last night and couldn't believe it.

Well, actually, I could believe it, but I never realized it.

Perhaps you are lazy and did not follow the link. You find yourself wondering, what exactly can she not believe?!

For one day only, I am going to be helpful and provide a little synopsis of the article for all you who couldn't be bothered to take the time to read the article.

(If that sentence wasn't an excellent use of the English language, I don't know what is.)

Okay, back to the synopsis.

1. Rudolph was created by a copywriter at a department store in 1939 for a coloring book. The text later was turned into a song. 2.4 million coloring books were given out the first year. (That's a lot of consumers to get ahold of.)

2. The green been casserole recipe was created for a 1954 Campbell's recipe book. Today 1 in 4 families each the dish at Thanksgiving. (Talk about mass consumption of cream of mushroom soup.)

3. Diamond engagement rings didn't become the norm until the after a 1939 campaign by a jeweler. The discovery of large amounts of diamonds in the 1890s had made the stone practically worthless. The acceptance and common practice ensured their value and a lack of reselling. Most people hold on to their rings forever.

4. In 1892 a candy company tried to convince consumers that giving candy as a gift on Valentine's day was much better than a card, as had been common practice. It worked. By 2004, more than 35 million boxes were being given on the holiday.

5. It wasn't until 1924 that anyone had even thought of wedding registry. Before that only close family and friends even gave presents to newlyweds. Thanks to department stores (specifically Marshall Field & Company) 96% of couples today register their wedding.

Glad to see that consumers are such easy targets, huh?

I'm never going to look at those little Valentine hearts the same again.

No comments:

Post a Comment