6.23.2008

Imperfections

I don't know if you're aware or not, but humans are imperfect bunch. It's true.

Most of us are aware, we gossip too much not to be. So instead, I thought I'd take some time today to look at my own faults, positive and negative, serious and amusing.

So here it goes...a list of my imperfections, things I don't or can't do well. Because this list couldn't potentially stretch on for an unknown period of time, I am going to narrow it down to ten. Think David Letterman style.

The Top Ten Reasons I'm Human:
1. I'm impatient.
I don't like waiting around, things taking longer than they should, and traffic lights that don't change as quickly as they should.

2. I'm horrible at ballet. That and a number of other things. I'm not flexible or graceful, and am completely uninterested in wearing a leotard.

3. I spend more money than I save. I'm kind of hoping this issue improves with age, but I'm not planning on it. My closet tells this story well enough.

4. I have really bad luck driving in parking lots. This is no joke. Everyone of the incidents I have been involved in with other cars have been in parking lots. Once I get on the roadways though...I am good to go.

5. I'm incredibly competitive. It doesn't matter when, where, or what about. I want to win. Sometimes I'm amazed that my brother and I are friends today after all the time we spent fighting about winning while growing up.

6. I am a speed demon. I don't break many other laws, at least, not on purpose. But I can't seem to help myself with this one. And in CO it seems everyone else drives under the speed limit. Combined with No. 1, this has caused great frustration. Luckily for me, I've only gotten one ticket in my professional driving career.

7. I'm not very good at staying in touch with people. Partially because I don't like the telephone and partially because I get distracted by the here and now. Either way, I have definitely dropped the ball a number of times in this area.

8. I don't like emotions. My own or other people's. I spent a lot my childhood not understanding my sister, because there was always something affecting her emotionally. Now, I have trouble identifying and dealing with my own emotions. The avoidance backfired.

9. I'm not very good at opening up. I often respond to questions I don't want to answer with "I don't know," "Okay," or another similarly vague phrase. I will also use the 'change the topic' tactic to avoid feeling uncomfortable. It's a skill.

10. I am a people pleaser. While this means I often succeed, it also means that I avoid confrontation, don't always stand up for myself, and let others get their way. And does that sound like fun to anyone?!

So there you go. My top ten. Luckily for me, all are things - except maybe the ballet - I can improve on. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment