5.03.2008

Rating Scale

Have you ever thought about how most of us judge ourselves, what scale we use. Generally we compare ourselves to others.

It struck me, today, how ridiculous this really is.

The scale, or system, seems so effective when we compare ourselves to people that aren't as good at whatever we are focused on.

I will always be able to find someone who doesn't write as well, isn't as well read, is in worse shape, etc.

At the same time, I can find millions of people that put me to shame. It is so easy to feel like crap.

So really, what's the point of comparing yourself to all these other people?! It doesn't even make sense.

Instead compare yourself to you. Are you better today than you were yesterday? Have you learned from the experiences you've had?

I will never be a cover model, an astronaut, or a ballerina.

But I can be the best me possible. Or at least the best I can be on any given day.

No comments:

Post a Comment