3.12.2008

Telephone

No, I am not referring to the game we played as children, passing secret messages through frantically whispered comments.

I am talking about actual telephones. The ones you must pick and dial in order to speak to someone who isn't close enough by to talk to.

I am not a big fan.

I've gotten better, but I am still not a big fan.

I used to avoid them and to a certain degree a still do, but I am a lot better.

Now, mostly, I hate placing calls to people. Especially people I don't know. I don't want to be that person they really don't want to talk to, having them sound as if they so many better things to do with their time than talk to me.

Today I had to make phone calls at work. It happens, more often than I like. The good news, I survive.

The really funny thing about my phone at work...it doesn't ring. I can't actually receive incoming calls, and they can't figure out how to fix it.

So either my calls go straight to voicemail or I run to the conference room to take my incoming calls. The receptionist yells at me, I grab a pen and paper, and run for it.

I feel quite professional when I have to run through the halls at work.

But it takes my mind off the fact that I am headed to answer the phone, however briefly.

No comments:

Post a Comment