3.30.2012

Yummy Banana Muffins

I've had a couple bananas sitting on my counter, getting older and looking less and less appealing. It was the perfect excuse for making banana bread (except I don't have a bread pan, so banana muffins it was).

Chocolate-Swirled Banana Muffins
adapted from this recipe


Ingridients
- 1 c white flour
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c sugar
- 1/4 c butter (softened)
- 3 mashed ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 c lowfat greek yogurt
- 1/2 c chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, cream sugar and butter.
3. Mix in bananas, eggs, and yogurt until just blended
4. Add flour to wet mixture. Mix until just moistened.
5. Microwave chocolate chips in medium bowl. Stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
6. Add 1 c batter to chocolate, stirring until well combined.
7. Spoon batter, alternating between the plain and chocolate, into greased or lined muffin tin. Fill the muffin cups 1/2 - 3/4 of the way full.
8. Swirl batter with a knife.

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until knife/toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling (or do what I did and enjoy a warm muffin or two).

Enjoy!

A couple notes: your muffins will turn out the best if you mix them as little as possible when combining the wet/dry mixtures. Just make sure all the ingredients are incorporated. Avoid overcooking the chocolate chips in the microwave. Melt a minute at a time, and make sure to mix pretty well after each minute as they will melt more as you do that.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, nothing beats a good banana bread (or muffin). I'm actually really bad at using my old bananas because I don't enjoy baking. I usually end up storing a bunch of ripe bananas in the freezer until I have a banana bread craving.

    But there are 3 on my counter right now calling my name...

    ReplyDelete