4.16.2008

Airport = Awesome

This is not my first, nor will it be my last post on the things I've observed in airports. I just can't help myself. Airports are this weird alternate universe that mixes people in ways that would never happen in real life.

I wasn't traveling today; I was a greeter. Here's what the time in the lobby was like.

First of all, I had to get lunch while I was there. I was already looking pretty cool, and then I stuffed my face with a bacon cheeseburger, while wearing a credential, event t-shirt, and holding a sign. People didn't know what to make of me. Luckily it only took me five minutes to eat the burger.

Velour sweat suits...I don't know who invented these but someone is making a mint. Not the most attractive outfit, especially in BRIGHT pink (yep, I saw it) but apparently the most comfortable travel option.

Parents are still letting there children wear rat tails as a hair style. The one I saw today came complete with a shaved head. That poor child.

I spotted a military man carrying a french horn in a case. Soon after he was followed by the rest of the band. The next thing I knew they were playing a song on the concourse above me. Then they left. I have no idea what the music was for.

There was an older man coming down the escalators with his wife. As his head came into view I saw that he was wearing a green hat shaped like a beer mug complete with the phrase "got beer?" The couple looked completely normal otherwise.

I have never understood the draw of really, really long hair for women. I am not talking about hair to your waist; I've been there, done that. Nope. I am talking about a woman with her hair in a braid that went to her knees. Not only could she provide wigs for two or three cancer victims, if she's trying to lose weight she could drop pounds very quickly with no diet or exercise necessary.

The last lesson of the day was that standing in the airport while holding sign makes it appear as if you can answer all questions. Doesn't matter what the topic is. I was asked about flight times, places to wait for arrivals, paying for parking, and where people for other conferences should go. Luckily I am good at sounding like I know what I am saying.

My day, or two hours, at the airport...quite an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment