3.22.2010

A Genius Mind

I'm never quite sure what words will come out of my dad's mouth.

He's mostly random, often irreverent, and always sarcastic.

But as my mom pointed out last night, at least it helps me enjoy living at home.

It all started with an episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, the popular older brother of Extreme Makeover.

The family on Home Edition was from Mississippi.  Next thing you know my dad is talking about a Swedish cake (from Ikea) in a rather awful Southern accent.

Things quickly devolved into me stating with an equally cliche accent, "He's making another left turn."  Because if there's one thing I really associate with the south (besides hospitality and Baptists), it's definitely Nascar.

A sport, which if I'm being honest, I don't really understand.  I get the skill of the drivers.  But sitting there watching them drive around in circles?  No thank you.

Early yesterday evening at dinner, I brought up the issue of out of date food stuff that often occurs in our house, partially because we don't clean things out and partially because my dad shops at discount stores.

He told me 2008 was not really that old for an expiration date.  He had, and I quote, "a chili pouch from 2006 that they will probably use for breast implants."

If that doesn't make you want to finish up a meal, today's dinner conversation would have really made you ill.

It certainly did for my mom.  I brought up the game "Would You Rather" and it just went downhill.

For my mom's tender sensibilities I'll stop the story there.

No comments:

Post a Comment