2.22.2010

Pearly Whites

I went to the dentist today, which ranks in the bottom five of favorite days of the year.  Luckily it was just a cleaning, which is what kept it from being at the very bottom of the list.

That because it's not really life threatening.  Or hasn't been yet for me.

But it's not comfortable.

See, I have TMJ (aka temporomadibular joint disorder--try saying that five times fast).  That means my jaw pops, a lot.  It's really gross, which is why I make people feel it when they ask about it.

It also means it's a bad idea to chew gum or eat food that requires a lot of hard chewing (gum, taffy, overcooked steak) or really big bites (mile-high sandwiches, whole apples, etc.).

There isn't really a cure.  Although when I was diagnosed, my doctor said that's it sometimes associated in women with hormones, and as I already suffer from migraines I should hurry up and have my kids already so I could get a hysterectomy.

I was about 16 at the time.  My mom was thrilled with the doctor.

I don't see her anymore (because she left, not because my mom hates her).

The good news from my visit to the dentist is that I don't have any cavities and "my teeth look beautiful."

1 comment:

  1. I have TMJ disorder too...AND I make people feel my jaw pop out...it alway grosses them out!

    ReplyDelete