1.22.2013

Working and Hunting (no guns needed)


This transition back to work thing has thrown me for a bit of a loop, mostly because I had to be at work at 5:30am Monday morning (but also because I really need to grocery shop--or is that a different issue).

And I'm doing the early shift again this coming Friday and morning. We're a bit short-staffed at the moment (the whole reason why I was brought in), so it's a little crazy.

The good news: they trust me enough to put me in charge of the website/Facebook/Twitter/livestreams by myself.

Being back in the newsroom has been really enjoyable overall. I've already worked a variety of shifts so I'm getting to know a lot of people and learn a lot.

Luckily, while there isn't a job for me there, I am working with people very willing to try to connect me with other places that do have openings.

And since I'm really not very good at job hunting, I'll gladly accept.

Because here's what I realized today: I've never really done a full out job search. There was a period in 2008 where I did job hunt, but I found my job through a friend.

Any position I've gotten has been relatively painless. And when I talk to friends going through interview processes and job hunts, I realize how lucky I have been (and feel a little unsure about what to expect).

For now, I'm going to set a few goals in terms of the number of jobs I'm applying for, continue to work on networking, and see what happens. Oh, and keep learning a lot at my current job.

Any tips for this inexperienced job hunter?

3 comments:

  1. When I was job hunting in the summer of 2011, I made myself a goal of applying to 5 jobs a day. I used the typical engines - Monster, Career Builder, Indeed but also used Craigslist which is how I found my current job. I knew I was getting lost in the thousands of other applicants on the bigger name job search engines, so Craigslist was a much better place for me. I mean, of course, you have to be diligent and make sure the job appears legit but it's fairly easy to know. (This one gave the company name and laid out the company mission and appeared very professional.)

    And also, make sure to have other people look over your resume. I swear, I had looked over mine a billion times and then someone else did and noticed I had "201" as a year. Sigh.

    And cover letters are super important. Especially one that stands out and is different, but not too wordy.

    OKAY. I think that's all from me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Stephany above. I'm job hunting right now and pretty much doing everything she said.

    Good luck lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used Business Careers when I was searching for my current job, and even though they sent me on some weird interviews for positions I wouldn't necessarily want, I used each one as a learning opportunity and chance to practice my interview skills, so I would be really polished and confident when the right opportunity came along.

    ReplyDelete