6.11.2009

Really Long Day

Let me start off by saying that I really do enjoy traveling. I like the going different places. I like people watching.

But sometimes, traveling sucks. I know everyone has stories.

Yesterday was one of those days for me. I left home for a visit to the land of the Rockies. Many hours later, I arrived.

Let me give you a little play-by-play:
  • I go to catch the 4:15 a.m. shuttle and find that I don't have a reservation. I'm allowed to board (thankfully) and make a phone reservation.
  • I reach the airport 2 1/2 hours later, check in, make it through security, and find breakfast.
  • Flight actually leaves a little ahead of schedule. This positive news is cancelled out by having to circle above San Francisco for half an hour.
  • I find the next gate after grabbing a bite to eat and discover that my flight has been delayed over an hour.
  • After a trip to the bathroom, I return and sit down. Someone has left their bags by four open seats; I select one. The man returns and is pissed off at having lost "his seat." I'm really sorry sir, that you had to move over one whole seat, but it's your fault if the plane blows up. Everyone knows not to leave their bags unattended. (Cardinal Sin #1 of plane travel)
  • We finally board our very small plane (2 seats on each side) and I'm headed to my final destination. My seat mate is rather large and we are sitting in the very last row, so the seats don't even recline. I didn't get the armrest down before he sat and am paying for it space-wise.
  • After landing, we have to sit and wait for a gate to open up. The boy in the row ahead of me throws up. (Really, I love traveling.)
  • Luckily my bag is there quickly and my ride picks me. Now the actual fun part of traveling begins, visiting with friends and having fun.
Did I mention I was running on about 4 1/2 hours of sleep. Needless to say I sleep over 11 hours last night.

I can't wait for the flight back. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment