I'm drained -- physically and emotionally. It's been a hard few weeks in our area -- news you may have heard about where you are. A news helicopter crashed a week then a pretty major landslide. Added to that I've taken on some freelance work (which I'm enjoying, but is one more thing to manage).
After the Seahawks season followed by Olympic coverage (and only a couple extra days off to recover a little), I could not be looking forward to this weekend more.
And while I may share more about life recently in the coming days/weeks/whenever I actually get to it, for now I wanted to focus on the positive -- on the things I am so thankful for amid all the tragedy we've been covering.
(As an aside, while it's been a tough few weeks for me, I know there are others personally impacted and suffering in ways I can't even imagine. And I've been humbled to help tell some of their stories.)
Things I am oh-so thankful for:
- Air popped popcorn: I know this seems silly, but a couple weeks ago I impulsively bought an air popper at Fred Meyer (a trip that accidentally resulted in three new kitchen appliances -- a story for another day). It may be the best purchase I've made in months. I've definitely indulged in a bowl or to for dinner recently.
- My amazing coworkers. People have stepped up, worked longer hours, taken on extra responsibilities without complaint and done such great work. Additionally, our parent company (which only acquired our group of TV stations a few months ago) has sent in reinforces. We couldn't have done it alone.
- Time with friends and family. Not only did I get to spend a few days last week up at my parents relaxing and enjoying puppy snuggles, but I've also had a few fun get togethers with friends, including one who visited from the other side of the country.
- A new vacuum that didn't cost a thing. My old vacuum was a Craigslist purchase my dad tracked down. It was starting to smell like the motor was burning out. While I (a.k.a. my dad) had started looking for something better, a friend of my dad's gave me one he was selling in a garage sale. So wonderful.
- Amazon Prime. Another silly one, but so helpful. My new vacuum needed bags and while it took two tries to buy the right ones, coming home today to vacuum bags and getting a chance to actually clean my carpets made me ridiculously happy (my 16-year-old self would just be shaking her head).
What have you been thankful recently?